Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Nomadic Matt's Travel Site: I’m Going to Africa Next Month!

Nomadic Matt's Travel Site: I’m Going to Africa Next Month!


I’m Going to Africa Next Month!

Posted: 07 Nov 2012 10:39 AM PST

nambibia
In a sharp departure from last week’s post, let’s talk about something more uplifting. Ever since I began learning about the world, I've always dreamed of visiting Africa. That desire only increased since I’ve started traveling. I have always imagined this big trip: a few months around East Africa on safari (plus a long hike up Kilimanjaro), discovering spices in Zanzibar, and spending as long as humanly possible relaxing on the beaches of the Seychelles. That is my ultimate dream trip. But I'm saving that trip for when there is someone to take.

Fortunately, there is a lot more than just those sights in Africa.

On the 28th of this month, I'll fly to Cape Town to do a 3 week trip through South Africa, Zambia, Namibia, and Botswana with G Adventures. I'll be going on their Dunes, Deltas, and Falls trip.

I don't really know what to expect from this trip. I've never been anywhere in Africa and I don't know much about the countries I am going to visit other than what I’ve read online (well, I do know a bit about South Africa). Perhaps that is a good thing. That way I'll have no preconceived notions or prejudices to overcome – I can just take the countries as they are not what I have heard they are. Pre-conceived notions can ruin a place.

This trip is a "basic" trip meaning there will be a lot of camping in the bush, which sounds completely awesome. I'll be Internet free while I am there and can focus on what's really important: trying to not to get eaten by a lion or trampled by an elephant.

Jokes aside, how excited am I about going to Africa? JUMP ON A COUCH EXCITED.

And what I find very cool as I count down to this trip is that even after 6 years of constant travel, I can still get butterflies in my stomach over visiting a new place. Will I make it to the hotel OK? What will the food be like? What scams do I have to look out for? What about malaria? Am I going to break out in a cold sweat one night?

Of course, I've learned long ago that all these fears and questions are natural but unfounded, and that I'll be perfectly fine. I'll make it to my hotel in one piece, I'll be safe, I'll see amazing things, and my time there will be perfect. But in a way it's comforting to know that no matter how much of an "expert" you are, new places can still take you back to those first travel moments when you boarded the plane and thought to yourself "will everything be fine or am I crazy for doing this?"

Yes, yes I am. I'm crazy for doing all this. Crazy like a fox! Africa will mark continent #6. I'm really hoping I get to the see the famous Honey Badger – those things are badass. Just how badass? This video shows just how:

But even if the elusive Honey Badger eludes me, I'm going to spend 3 weeks on safari turning a long held dream into reality. It may not be my ultimate Africa dream trip but it is still a dream come true.

Merry early Christmas to me!

I’m Going to Africa Next Month! is a post from: Nomadic Matt's Travel Site

0 comments: