Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Nomadic Matt's Travel Site: Out of Europe and Into America

Nomadic Matt's Travel Site: Out of Europe and Into America


Out of Europe and Into America

Posted: 09 Oct 2012 03:57 AM PDT

Flying High in an airplaneLast year, I wrote about how after all these years of travel, I was ready to slow down and become semi-nomadic. My last year-long trip around the world ended in March but as many of you have noted, I still don't seem settled down. I keep moving around.

I had a plan to stop. I intended to settle in Sweden through the end of the year, but after not being able to find an apartment I abandoned those plans. After spending a month roaming around southern Europe, I've returned home to America — and this time, the settling down is real. I swear.

I'm currently staying in Boston with my parents. They always complain about never seeing me, so I figure I'll be seen for a while. I have only two trips planned for the rest of the year: in November, I'll be flying to London to speak at a conference and in December, I'll be going to Africa for 3 weeks. (More on that later.)

I have no other travel plans for the rest of the year, and I don't intend to make any.

I want to rest. I want to settle down. I want a routine. I'm excited to be in one place with no trips on the horizon. There has always seemed to be something keeping me from staying put – a trip, an event, or some other excuse – but now there's no reason for me to say "Why stay in one place, this trip is coming up in a few weeks anyway!"

I still plan to move to New York City. That was the goal after Sweden and that's still the goal now, but it's better for me to do that after the New Year. I have nothing planned between Africa and my book launch in February, so at the end of December, I'll head down to the Big Apple and put my John Hancock to an apartment lease.

But that's months away.

Right now, I'm recovering from my jetlag, joining a gym, and confusing my parents with the twenty pounds of vegetables I bought. My goal for the rest of the year is to get back into shape and improve my eating habits – staying put in Sweden gave me a taste of healthy living as I had a kitchen and was able to cook, and I want to do that more.

Sean Connery once said "I haven't found anywhere in the world where I want to be all the time. The best of my life is the moving. I look forward to going."

My biggest worry when I decided to settle down was wondering if I would I make it. Could I stay in one place? I want to, but I still don't know. The only thing that kept me sane during three weeks in Stockholm was the knowledge that I was heading to the airport soon. And staying in suburbia might drive me crazy even faster.

With no trips planned and nothing but work on my plate, I'll have plenty of time to work it out. But right now, I'm really happy to be home and though I may go stir crazy in a few weeks' time, at least for the time being I have nothing to worry about but the traffic on the way to the gym.


Traveling soon? Book your trip through the links below helps support this site and keep it running:
Flights from Vayama | Insurance from World Nomads | Accommodation from HW | G Adventure Tours

©Nomadic Matt's Travel Site

0 comments: